Has LinkedIn become just another social media website? It seems like it is. I have noticed that a lot people are using it for personal reasons, and not using it in a professional and good manner. It seems like it is being used as a dating site, and unprofessionally.
LinkedIn is a website for employers, employees, those seeking employment, building your online resume in the working world, your work, educational background, the languages you speak and volunteer experience. LinkedIn should solely be used for those purposes only. If you create an account on LinkedIn, always realize that you are sharing your profile alongside CEO’s, Executives, Managers, Employment scouts and so much more. It is very important to have a professional attitude and not treat LinkedIn as just another ordinary social media site.
LinkedIn is not Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, MySpace website. Here are the do’s and don’ts and how to keep yourself professional at all times.
01. When Creating an Account on LinkedIn, develop your profile by putting your educational, employment and volunteer background
02. On building your resume, never put “I” in your tasks and skills as the person who is reading your page knows that it is you, so you do not have to add that in.
03. It is always a good idea to post a professional picture of you on your profile. Do not post pictures that you have with your pet, not with other people in it, not to wear revealing clothing, to keep yourself groomed, and presentable in your photo.
04. Always demonstrate a professional attitude if others contact you. Be aware if they are spam or they are trying to endorse and selling something. Do not respond to them and just delete the message.
05. Do not put your full Birth-date, Marital Status, and other personal information about you, Always keep it professional and solely just about your Educational, Volunteer and employment experiences.
06. Always maintain your profile, network with others in the same interests and field as you. Interact, join in groups that are in relative to you.
07. You do not need to get a premium profile just to find out who is visiting your profile. A basic profile is just good enough.
08. It is not a Dating website and it is not a good idea to find love on a professional website. Be discreet, set your standards high and do not answer. Just simply delete and block people. Not the place for it.
09. Do not post comedic pictures, emotional status messages, selfies and inappropriate things on your profile.
10. Lastly, always be careful with people who over endorse you with whom you never really spend time with, or have never worked with. It is nice to endorse people, but keep that to minimum. There is such a thing as over endorsing, that will make the person over qualified and will send the wrong message out to those who do not know you. So watch out with that. – Also do not request others to make a testimonial about you. Let others do it without asking.
That is all. I hope this will help you make the right decisions when using LinkedIn. All the best and Good luck.