WARNING: The Following article I wrote may be offensive to some readers, so reader discretion is advised. These are just my suggestions and opinions on what to do at the airport and prior and after traveling.
Here is Part 2 of my Airport Travel Tips, that will make your day of Traveling much easier and hassle free. We all want to travel without hassle, but there is always some people who just do not get it in the travel industry and there are some people who just do not understand that concept. In my first Airport Travel tips, I had stated, that you must always do your homework, research, and prepared well in advance before even packing your bags. It can save you time, hassle, money, and you can travel care free with any airline, but you must always check requirements such as, Visa’s, Travel Permits, Baggage requirements, sizes, carry-on luggage, rules and regulations, Passport Expiration dates. Even before you think of Flying always, update your information and always get a newly issued passport when approaching the expiration date.
I know in our lives we get so busy, and forget things, but never forget to update your information especially as important as your passport or any other information that is needed. You never know when you might need it for traveling. The bottom line is that It is your responsibility.
**Look at this scenario**… Your relative is getting married or there is an important event you must go to, say for business or something as well, and say it is in California or a Destination wedding to the Caribbean, that business trip in New York or Chicago and then you say Oh my Passport is okay and assume its all good, but do not assume, always check. Say the wedding is in 4 months and your passport expires in 6 months. Do you assume to take the risk and not go get your passport done? I’d rather go get my passport photo taken and my passport renewed, and then not be in a rush to get your passport because you have already taken steps to prevent hassle at the airport. – So that gives you leverage and time, then all you have to do is pack worry free. It would be an embarrassment to show up at the airport in front of Airport Officials and say, Oh My goodness My passport is expired. Not a good way to start a vacation, or if you are going for business, pleasure, whatever the case maybe.
Here is what you need to know…
1. When Taking gifts, do not wrap them in gift wrap paper as it will be checked at the security customs. The best way is to buy a gift bag, with tissue paper, then you are all set. It can be easily packed in your carry on. Never buy Perfumes, Lotions as gifts as they can be confiscated from your carry on. Well, you can buy them, but Best bet is to pack it in your checked baggage. (US Destinations charge $25.00 per checked baggage. Check with airline requirements)
2. Do not make jokes at the airport at all when the jokes involve aircraft, airport officials, the airport itself, because it can be heard by other passengers and especially around security and customs. You maybe denied boarding your flight, you can be fined a large sum of money, you can be detained, sent to the customs office to further search you and question you, your purpose of flight. So be serious about it.
3. Do not wear offensive and threatening t-shirt logos as security, airport officials do look at that as well. Do not even pack them in your bags as you never know security may check it out. Remember they do random searches and you maybe one of them. Dress properly in airport attire. Dress comfortably, wear comfortable footwear, be clean, look after hygiene, smelling fresh, and not to eat spicy, garlic, onions and other foods that cause odor within 48 hours of your flight day. You are not the only one who will take the same flight as you, so you must think of the people on board and around you as well as some might get sick of the smell.
4. When someone drops you off at the airport to take your flight, and when you arrive back, please advise those who pick you up from your return flight, not to arrive at the airport early and end up circling around because airport security requests that. Some airports may have a waiting area, so check with the airport on that. Have the passengers call or text message you from inside the airplane as soon as they land and taxi to the gate, so that will give the person who will pick you up, time to get there to meet you at arrivals, and communicate with them until you claim your baggage, and go from there. Airport security does not allow people to wait in arrivals that long. due to security reasons.
5. Sometimes parking at the airport can be expensive. depending on the airport and destination. Do your research on seeing how you can avoid high costs by seeing you can go to a park and fly parking lot, and you can get free shuttle to the airport terminal from there. Just allocate your time, and arrive earlier and get to the airport. usually those parking spaces are between 3-10 minutes away from airport. So arrive according to your flight time and arrive to airport 3 hours before.
6. Some People often complain about why you should arrive 3 hours before your flight, as soon as you check yourself in with your information, a lot of work goes into a whole flight process, they know you are there, but by the time the plane arrives, by the time the whole process ends, by the time your baggage go to the plane, everything is checked and its a speedy process as well. So it takes a lot of work. especially at a big airport. So please respect the times given to you. Some people do not appreciate and sometimes do not understand it. Its easy for us as we pack for our trip, give our tickets and passport information, but they do the rest of the work, they are trained to do. Its strenuous, stressful so make their work less stressful by being more understanding and co-operative.
Well, that is it, but I hope you did not find anything I said offensive, because I did warn you. Safe travels!
See Part 1 of my Travel Tips if you have not read it.